[asterisk-users] Zimbra IMAP authentication - SOLVED

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Jul 2 19:59:47 CDT 2009

Hello, everyone.  No need to read this message.  I'm posting for
documentation for other poor, ignorant slobs like me who are struggling
to pull together the many technologies to make converged networks
happen.  Hopefully, this will help save someone else the time I spent.
I started the below email until I realized I had solved multiple parts
of a compound problem but not all at the same time.  When I put them
together in the right order, it worked.

I did not understand that I needed to use AUTHENTICATE PLAIN and that
such authentication is a single string which pertains to the user and
not the authuser.  Then, once I got the right password parameter name
and figured out that I could not use a distribution list rather than a
real email account for shared voice mail (duh), it all fell into place.
The configuration in the examples below works.  It's a wonder to behold.
Thanks Asterisk developers - John

Hello, all. I'm having a nasty time trying to integrate Asterisk and
Zimbra for voice mail.  No matter whether I use imappassword=,
imappasswd=, or imapsecret=, I get these errors:

[Jul  2 19:54:26] WARNING[26609]: app_voicemail.c:2306 mm_log: IMAP Warning: SECURITY PROBLEM: insecure server advertised AUTH=PLAIN
[Jul  2 19:54:26] WARNING[26609]: app_voicemail.c:2306 mm_log: IMAP Warning: Retrying PLAIN authentication after AUTHENTICATE failed
[Jul  2 19:54:26] WARNING[26609]: app_voicemail.c:2306 mm_log: IMAP Warning: SECURITY PROBLEM: insecure server advertised AUTH=PLAIN
[Jul  2 19:54:26] WARNING[26609]: app_voicemail.c:2306 mm_log: IMAP Warning: Retrying PLAIN authentication after AUTHENTICATE failed
[Jul  2 19:54:26] WARNING[26609]: app_voicemail.c:2306 mm_log: IMAP Warning: SECURITY PROBLEM: insecure server advertised AUTH=PLAIN
[Jul  2 19:54:26] ERROR[26609]: app_voicemail.c:2309 mm_log: IMAP Error: Can not authenticate to IMAP server: AUTHENTICATE failed
[Jul  2 19:54:26] ERROR[26609]: app_voicemail.c:1669 messagecount: Houston we have a problem - IMAP mailstream is NULL

My voicemail.conf file has lines such as:

10 => xxxxx,Some User,,,imapuser=person at somewhere.com|imappassword=Y2xlcmljYWxAZWJjLWNvLmNvbXgAemltYnJhbWFuAFNTIVMzcnZpY2VzcEBzc3BocmFzZQ==

I can authenticate via telnet with . authenticate plain using these
passwords.  If it's of any help to anyone, I put together a small script
to produce them:

#!/bin/bash
# Copyright 2009 by John A. Sullivan III, SSI Services, LP
# This script takes a file with a list of email accounts (accountfile) and
# produces a file containing Zimbra PLAIN AUTHENTICATION passwords
# (accountfile.pauth) in the current directory.
# Thus, be sure you have read rights where you run this script.

if [ -z "${1}" ];then
        echo "usage: $(basename ${0}) <accounts file name>"
        exit 5
fi

read -p "What is the admin email account name? " ADMIN
echo "Thank you"
read -s -p "Now what is the admin's password? " APW

LINE=
OFILE="$(basename ${1}).pauth"
: > "${OFILE}"
while read EADD
do
        echo "${EADD}"
        LINE="$(printf ${EADD}\000${ADMIN}\000${APW} | openssl base64 | tr -d '\n')"
        echo -e "${EADD}\t${LINE}\n" >> "${OFILE}"
done < "${1}"

Here is a portion of voicemail.conf:

pollmailboxes=yes
pollfreq=60
; IMAP voice mail storage
imapserver=zimbra.ssiservices.biz
imapport=7143 ; Using the Zimbra IMAP proxy at 143 on this station - real IMAP listens on 7143
expungeonhangup=yes
imapfolder=INBOX
imapflags=notls
;authuser=manager at ssiservices.biz