[asterisk-users] Using a mobile phone via USB as an extension

Nick Hill t0 at nickhill.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 14:20:51 CDT 2009

I have had a search for this, but didn't come up with any results, so maybe I am
using the wrong terms, sorry if this is an FAQ.

For those who want to forward their incoming voice calls to a mobile, it could
be a cheaper option to call a mobile from another mobile on the same network.

This probably wouldn't be useful for users in USA, Canada or Hong Kong as costs
to call a mobile is the same as a land line. In other countries, it is very
different.

I know of a mobile operator who bundle lots of free on-network minutes with SIM
cards. I wonder if it is possible to forward the call via a mobile phone
tethered to an asterisk server through USB?

Has anyone tried tethering a mobile phone to an asterisk server and configuring
it as an asterisk extension so they can use free or cheap on-network minutes for
the mobile leg of the call?

Thanks.

Nick.