[asterisk-users] Echo and static on PRI with errors

Tom O'Connor tom at twinhelix.org
Thu Jul 2 10:52:14 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:15:13PM +0100, Tom O'Connor wrote:
>
> > I have tried all suggestions given.  It just happens that none of them
> have
> > been much use.  I'm very constrained by time on this project, less than
> 11
> > days before i leave the company, so i'd like to have it in a workable
> > state.  Buying a better server, although it would probably work, would
> > inevitably cost more money than they're willing to spend.
> > You might notice that the OpenVox cards they bought are the cheapest on
> the
> > market? Coincidence.. no.
>
> Cheap? yes. Cheapest? Almost. Have you contacted their support?
>

> (I'm completely unafiliated with them etc. etc.)

I tried, I got passed around from person to person until i'd heard the
script at least 4 times, so I gave up.  Might try again tomorrow.
I'm currently testing the same card in a different server, with a Tyan Intel
chipset board, as opposed to a HP / AMD chipset.   I'm somewhat more hopeful
about this.  I was told that newer servers have some proprietary PCI bus
chips, which are optimised to deal with RAID cards and suchlike, which can
be problematic when handing IRQ-heavy cards such as these.

I think this is actually interesting, because the current Asterisk server is
actually a Dell Optiplex desktop with a Pentium 150 in it.  Can't get much
more basic, but it works pretty well.  (the only reason we're attempting an
upgrade, is because the old asterisk 1.0 can't support features that the
management want to implement, and the physical box is taking up too much
space in the already cramped server room!)

--
Tom O'Connor

http://www.twinhelix.org
tom at twinhelix.org