[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 WaitForSilence Problem

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 19:07:29 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Deric Page<Deric.Page at nisc.coop> wrote:
> I've set up an outbound .call system for customer callbacks and the like.
> Calls are going out over analog lines and I'm trying to use the
> WaitForSilence routine to make sure the phone has stopped ringing before
> starting message playback. The problem is that if I set the first argument
> of WaitForSilence to anything other than 1, WaitForSilence never exits.

I would suggest that WaitForSilence isn't a very good tool to 'make
sure the phone has stopped ringing', especially since it seems like
what you really want is a smart way to detect whether you have a human
on the phone. You may prefer Answering Machine Detection, known in
dialplans as AMD().

If you honestly just want a wait, put in a wait. If somebody starts
talking by saying hello, WaitForSilence() may not be what you want.
Have you recorded some tests and listened back to them?