[asterisk-users] Echo and static on PRI with errors

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Wed Jul 1 05:08:44 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 5:58 AM, Tom O'Connor <tom at twinhelix.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Marco Signorini <marcotasto at libero.it>wrote:
>
>>  Tom O'Connor wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Francesco Peeters <
>> francesco at fampeeters.com> wrote:

>>>  Check the BIOS whether you can:
>>> Change the IRQ assignments
>>> Disable the extra hardware using the same IRQ
>>>
>>> Or otherwise try changing the slot it is in... I had very good results
>>> in the past swapping card around
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>

>> I did a bit of investigation WRT the IRQ settings on this box.
>>
>> 00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3)
>> (prog-if 20)
>>     Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 3207
>>     Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
>> --
>> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX
>> 400] (rev b2)
>>     Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 3207
>>     Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
>> --
>> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721
>> Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 11)
>>     Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 3209
>>     Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
>> --
>> 81:01.0 Network controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Tiger3XX Modem/ISDN
>> interface
>>     Subsystem: Device 79fe:0001
>>     Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
>>
>> So basically there's 2 network cards and a USB controller sharing IRQ 11
>> with the Openvox card.
>>
>> I wasn't able to find any settings in the bios to manually configure IRQ
>> assignments :(
>>
>> Could someone tell me how to set which IRQ the ISDN card picks up?
>>
>> --
>> Tom O'Connor
>>
>> http://www.twinhelix.org
>> tom at twinhelix.org
>>
>> Hi,
>> Unfortunately is not always possible and it depends on how the mainboard
>> was realized. For what I can understand a lot of producers decide to route
>> only a subset of physical IRQ lines to the PCI slots (I think is something
>> related to cost reduction) and to share it with other onboard peripherals.
>> This lets impossible to change the IRQ assignment for expansion cards.
>>
>> This is not always true and sometimes swapping add-on cards solves the
>> problem.
>>
>> We had better results with cards based on new Digium technology or with
>> Sangoma cards.
>>
>> There is almost no room for manouvering in the HP bios.  There's no
> ability to disable stuff like parallel ports, or anything else really.
>
> I don't think i'd buy digium hardware again.  I'm already considering
> RMAing these cards and getting Sangoma ones.
>

> --
> Tom O'Connor
>
> http://www.twinhelix.org
> [...]
That is one option.  The new line Digium cards are on par with Sangoma as
far as IRQ issues.

I really like Sangoma's lifetime warranty though.  I don't think Digium has
countered that bold move.

I would try the RMA and if that doesn't work, you can always pickup a decent
last year's model server at
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/featured-hardware/cg-69/servers.html

For a basic asterisk server or PBX with nothing special going on, any of
these servers are more than enough, even overkill.

No affiliation, I have to say the shipping is high and they are slow to ship
but the prices are great, never had an issue with any of their boxen
(dozens, knock on wood....)

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro