No subject

Thu Jan 15 22:29:28 CST 2009

"*What is CentOS?*
CentOS is an Enterprise Linux distribution based on the freely available
sources from Red Hat Enterprise
Linux<ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/>.
Each CentOS version is supported for 7 years (by means of security updates).
A new CentOS version is released every 2 years and each CentOS version is
regularly updated (every 6 months) to support newer hardware. This results
in a secure, low-maintenance, reliable, predictable and reproducible Linux
environment."

CentOS 4 ( http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS4 ):
"We intend to support CentOS-4 updates until Feb 29, 2012"

CentOS 5 ( http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5 ):
"We intend to support CentOS 5 until Mar 31st, 2014"

So if you don't want major upgrades for a while you might want to go with
the latest version.  To put it into Microsoft terms...  the minor version is
like a service pack.  So CentOS 4.7 is really a base lined version 4,
service pack 7.  You get the new features in major releases (like there are
no more "smp" kernels in 5 to deal with)

-Jonathan