[asterisk-users] Quiet 24 port POE gig switch

Claus Herwig lists at checon.de
Sat Jan 31 14:06:00 CST 2009

Hello,

> I need to put a 24 port Gig PoE switch into a small office – no computer
> room / rack etc.  All CAT5 terminates near the owners desk (smart huh?).

I had a similar problem some days ago. 24-port GBit Switch in the middle
of a classroom...

I ended up with a kind of "semi-loud" setup: I bought a 3Com 3CBLSG
switch (this is without PoE, but there is a PoE version of it). There
are two quite noisy 40x40x10 fans inside. I replaced the two with one
40x40x20 ebmPapst silent fan (model 412/2, 18dB), left the other fan
offline and mounted the whole thing vertically so that convection
supports the remaining fan. I tried with two silent fans (enough space
inside), but this still was too noisy.

Some measurement indicates the cooling is sufficient this way. But
understand that I've no long term data, as I installed this setup just
two weeks ago. And of course your warranty is void ;-)

Greets,
   Claus

--
CHECON   EDV-Consulting und Redaktion
          Claus Herwig * Barer Straße 70 * 80799 München
          +49 89 27826981 * Fax 27826982 * c.herwig at checon.de