[asterisk-users] Managing codecs

Mike list at virtutel.ca
Thu Jan 29 10:19:42 CST 2009

Hi,

I`d like to know the best way to manage codecs to let the CPU breath as much
as possible.  I understand transcoding is a big part of CPU usage on
Asterisk, and I have the following situation:

- A SIP provider that offers me G729 and ULAW (my choice, both as allowed)

- Some of my calls are from G729 enabled phones to outside lines, and I`d
like to send those calls using G279 to my provider

- Some of my calls are from PSTN (ulaw) and send out to PSTN (to a cell
phone let's say, in a find-me-follow-me fashion). I`d like those calls to be
sent out in ulaw.

Can this be done, or do I have to choose one or the other for all calls?  I
know I can do that using sip.conf, but I`d like to choose in my dialplan
what codec to use according to various rules.

Mike