[asterisk-users] [asterisk-dev] DTMF queuing

James Lamanna jlamanna at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 21:30:20 CST 2009

[moving to asterisk-users by request]

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:56 AM, John Todd <jtodd at digium.com> wrote:

>>> What version are you talking about?  If it's not 1.4.23, please try
>>> that, as there are some related fixes in that version.
>>
>> Sorry, I neglected to mention this is on 1.4.18.1.
>> I will try and test 1.4.23 and see if things are better.
>> In the meantime, I'll report my findings to see if you guys can better
>> explain
>> to me what is going on.
>>
>> The best DTMF combination (between phone and asterisk) I have found is:
>>
>> sip.conf - dtmfmode=info
>> Phone (SPA962) - DTMF Mode = Auto
>>
>> This works very well for outbound SIP and Zap trunks and on both ulaw
>> and g726 codecs.
>> However, this does NOT work for any prompt that is internal to asterisk
>> that
>> needs to detect DTMF (Voicemail, Authenticate, etc..).
>> The only way for these prompts to work is to explicitly put
>> SIPDTMFMode(inband)
>> in the dial plan. Of course, this breaks when the codec is g726. Why
>> do these prompts not work with this setup?
>> I've also noticed that when in this mode, nothing is put into the dtmf
>> log.
>> Does that mean that the phone and asterisk have negotiated inband
>> (though if this was the case why would it work with g726..)?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> (please CC me directly since I'm on digest mode at the moment).
>

> Actually, I'm a little surprised you get DTMF working at all in this
> combination.
>
> Setting dtmfmode=info means that Asterisk will be looking for SIP INFO
> messages that contain DTMF events.  Have you watched the SIP channel debug
> during DTMF events, or set up a tshark or other interceptor to watch port
> 5060 as you send DTMF?   Perhaps you've got a few things mucking up the
> works there.  What does RFC2833 get you if you set all the gear to that?
>
> Try setting everything to RFC2833 and try again.  I'd also suggest follow-up
> messages go to asterisk-users and not to this list, as this is not sounding
> particularly like a question for the -dev list where core Asterisk code is
> involved, and you'll probably get more answers over on -users.

Still haven't had a chance to upgrade to 1.4.23, however I did try
setting everything to rfc2833.
Works ok @1.4.22.1, but not as good as the info/Auto combination.

I looked at the SIP signaling trace, and I see no sign of INFO headers
in the signaling packets.
What's going on here then? I see no payload 101 packets in the RTP
stream either.
So I guess it negotiated inband? (then why the hell would it work
while in g726 - am I just getting lucky??)
I have verified that the RTP payload packets have type 2 which is g726aal2.
Note, It is getting transmitted inband, if I switch back to ulaw and
look at the packets, I can see no audio
until I press a digit.

And why doesn't this get detected by Asterisk for any of its internal
applications?

-- James