[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed Jan 28 15:53:58 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Jon Pounder <jonp at inline.net> wrote:

>>> BRI is stupid in the US anyways, that is why it was never supported or
>>> proper stack written (with the exception of Marcin's).  BRI was a
>>> miscarriage in the US and it will probably disappear in the near
>>> future.
>>>

>> Okay, great! Why didn't you just reply with that to begin? Seriously...? '-)
>>
>> Look, this confirms what I'd pretty much concluded already. All I wanted to know. Now I can stop trying to find out what the deal is, you see.
>>
>> . . .
>>
>> Truly, I thought getting a public recommendation to contact someone who already hadn't passed the "please don't taint my GNU/Linux and open source" machine test, was, well, funny... okay?
>>
>> I found it *particularly* funny as you didn't address the part of my post where I want to know if it's common to, well... you can call it what you want with borrowing, and keeping modified, open source code (if that's what happened)... for me, I'm *not* a capitalist, but I do understand the effect on open source when folks do that. ;-)
>>

>>> Just get a partial PRI, POTS, or a some DSL lines.
>>>

>> Partial PRI is also disappearing, I've been told -- though now I'll have to try harder to find it since I don't need any bandwidth, but would like digital lines. POTS will likely have to do after all.
>>
> Well maybe if there was a decently supported piece of hardware that
> actually worked in North America, enough people on this list would
> actually see the benefits of BRI where T1/PRI is just not the right fit
> for the situation, and there would be a demand and it would become more
> well known and not disappear, .....
>
> I agree though, if nothing changes it will go away before too long.

Do you honestly think that out the very small percentage of Asterisk
users that would adopt BRI would change the trend of BRI dying in the
US.  I don't even mention Asterisk when dealing with carrier and turn
up issues because 9 times out of 10 they blame Asterisk, followed by,
we don't support that setup.

Asterisk is a mere blip on the PBX screen but it has shown up and is
getting larger.

As far as partial PRI, I have no problems ordering these circuits in
the mid east.  Some have data, some just have 6 voice channels turned
up (that is the lowest number of channels I have been able to find).

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro