[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Wed Jan 28 14:47:52 CST 2009

I replaced my analogue channels with digital some time back. Using a
technology called VoIP... ;-)

But VoIP isn't the same quality or reliability as BRI.  There are extra delays that can mess up modem and FAX calls.  There can be latency jitter issues as well, particularly as the most likely carrier medium is DSL or Cable modem which generally don't guarantee QOS.  It certainly has its place and the cost is often lower, but it isn't apples to apples.

Just how different is the US system to the European/UK one? (and why?)

I may not be the best one to answer this, as I know little about what is in Europe.  In the US it is packaged pretty much to replace two POTS.  There are two phone numbers.  There is some sharing of B channels that make it a bit more flexible than POTS.  There is no ptmp.  It is generally delivered and used in two wire U channel form, making multiple extensions not possible.  In fact, I doubt it is often run a handset.  I've been using it for about 8 years to a Terminal Adapter that converts it back to two POTS (analog).  I started doing it because it could gracefully share voice and data, but then I got DSL for data.

Wilton