[asterisk-users] RFC -- Improving the quality of the mailinglists

Jose P. Espinal jpe at slackware-es.com
Tue Jan 27 20:39:55 CST 2009

Maybe at some place of the thread, we missed the focus of it.

1. About the Wiki, totally agreed that its sometimes outdated and you
could get lost. But as we all know, if you want something to be
correctly done, you have to do it yourself; (that takes me to point 2. ,
below)

2. The feeling that documentation is 'somewhat lacking', as someone
said, its a general atmosphere.
Maybe a FAQ would help new users but, the problem is that *some* users
don't want help, they want their problems to be diagnosed and solved by
people in the list.

3. From the book ATFOT v2, we have "...Asterisk was, and continues to
be, actively developed for Linux", maybe that answers the comments about
some documentation sources to assume that you are already familiar with
Linux.
If you buy a car for your own, it is assumed that you know how to drive
(if you pretend to drive it)

4. Someone said "Maybe there needs to be a beginner list...". I agree
almost 100% with your oppinion but, we all know that the problem is not
(at least for  now, when there are lots of documentation topics to
write) newbies questions, but bad formulated questions and people not
wanting to help them self before asking other one's help.

5. About -docs list and ATFOT book, I think it is time already for the
documentation's job to rest on everyone's shoulders.
Maybe we can (based on newbies FAQs) determine which topics of the Book
need to be strengthened and help make a stronger documentation source.

6. About just answering messages that I 'like how the question was
made', there's a popular phrase in my country that says something like
(in my language) 'Is of great help that one who doesn't
stop/nuisance/obstacles'.
If we don't do something about messages with subject and/or content
poorly detailed, soon, we won't 'like' no message :) and abandon list.

Regards,

--
Jose P. Espinal
http://eSlackware.com