[asterisk-users] USA BRI -- any hope at all?

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 27 13:26:28 CST 2009

>To the best of my understanding, latest Asterisk should support it
>through chan_dahdi . No need for extra bristuff or whatever. But this
>needs some testing.

Any chance I could get some information on how to set it up and use it (keeping in mind that I have limited Asterisk experience and no experience with zaptel or mISDN or BRIstuff)?

I have an NT1 BRI here that is up and running and an HFC card and an F9 Linux with *1.6.  The BRI can easily be moved to the HFC card for testing.

I installed 1.6 from an F9 Yum distro, but I could probably figure out how to download and make the latest from source if necessary.  I did the F9 installation and run it, but I'm not real strong on Linux.  I mostly do 80186 embedded development in C and assembly.

>BRI there behaves very much like PRI. No extra ptmp complications as in the rest of the >world.

I never dealt with PRI, so I can't say for sure, but you are correct that it lacks ptmp, etc.

>It seems, though you may need to do some custom wiring.

AFAIK, only that it is delivered in U form and some cards (including mine) require S/T, but I already have a converter for that.

I am anxious to get my BRI into Asterisk, I just have been overwhelmed at the terse mISDN documentation and haven't jumped in.  Having it in dahdi would at least mean one less separate piece to mess with.  If I can get some documentation or a bit of handholding, I will take the plunge, report any problems and document the end result (assuming it is successful and worth documenting).

Wilton