[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 dahdi only?

Julian Lyndon-Smith asterisk at dotr.com
Tue Jan 27 13:02:45 CST 2009

Wilton Helm wrote:

[snip]

> My conclusion after installing a worthless * demo (that actually does
> allow two SIPs to talk to each other) is that Asterisk is not of any
> value to anyone other than a person who makes a full time career out
> of running Asterisk systems.  I've installed and maintained several
> traditional PABXs and even wrote the control firmware (in 6502
> assembly) for one, with sizes from 6 stations to 300 stations,
> including things like DID.  It was kindergarten compared to Asterisk,
> and primarily because of the huge information vacuum.
My conclusion, after installing an interesting * demo (that actually
does allow two SIPs to talk to each other) in late 2004 is that Asterisk
is of immense value to me and the company that I work for, having saved
us well over $100,000 (if not more) over the last four years. I am not a
person who makes a full time career out of running Asterisk - quite the
opposite. I am employed to write business applications, not maintain *
systems. I had zero knowledge of PABX's and telecoms before I
implemented *, and the "vacuum" that you refer to provided me with
everything I needed to implement a system that today is making over
300,000 call attempts per month with 30 agents and 140 extensions, with
call monitoring, recording and voicemail.

YMMV. Mine certainly did. For the better.

Julian.