[asterisk-users] RFC -- Improving the quality of the mailing lists

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 27 12:35:15 CST 2009

>It seems to me that everything one may want to know would be contained
>on voip-info.org

My own experience is that it covers a very broad spectrum (far broader than Asterisk) and in a rather terse manner.  I have spent an hour or two at a time pouring over a topic there and come away little more enlightened than when I started.  Most people who know enough to create useful entries there, assume too much of the reader.  They assume that everyone reading the post works with Linux 40 hours a week at the command line level, and only needs a few VoIP clues to take an idea and run with it.  A better assumption would be that they know how to log on.  It shouldn't even be assumed that they know the difference between
    su        and
    su -
I realize that this is challenging because different distros do things different ways.  That is another topic of its own, but is also one of the banes of Linux that is hurting its usability considerably.

Wilton