[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 dahdi only?

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 11:39:04 CST 2009

Hi Steve -

> New to Aserisk 1.6 and find the 'installation tutorials' seem low to non
> existent.

Welcome to Open Source!

Seriously, look at the README files accompanying asterisk, dahdi, and
libpri.  They will give you compilation/installation instructions.
You can also search this list with google: "<Search term>
site:lists.digium.com"

> Someone take notice! we need a link to instructions right of the main
> asterisk page.

If you have a need for documentation, you're more than welcome to
write it (once you've figured out how to install asterisk).  We all
contribute however we're able.  Well, some of us do.

Now to answer your questions:

> My 1st question is am I missing a good step-by step for 1.6 and how to
> compile/install it along with it's side components (dahdi/libpri)?
> when/if those side components are actually needed?
> When would you run asterisk without them entirely?
>
> 2nd question is for an IP/SIP only system do I only need DAHDI or do I need
> DAHDI and LIBPRI?

If you have no dahdi compatible hardware, you don't need dahdi.  The
one exception to this is meetme, for which you need a dahdi timing
source.  You can use the dummy timing driver.

> Is libpri only needed if interfacing to a pri?

Yes, mostly.  I think you may need it if you have any card that takes
a T1/E1.  I think you may also need it for BRI cards.

> Is 1.6 so cutting edge that I should not expect to find complete
> documentation (yet)like I seem to be expecting very easily?

The short answer is yes, given the glacial pace of documentation
creation, 1.6 is that cutting edge.

- Noah