[asterisk-users] RFC -- Improving the quality of the mailing lists

David Gibbons dave at videon-central.com
Tue Jan 27 10:17:09 CST 2009

The higher you raise the barrier for entry to the mailing list, the more you decrease the amount good the mailing list is actually capable of doing. (barrier height is inversely related to how much help we can provide to the people that need help the most)

I agree with you regarding the subject spelling/misspelling as it pertains to indexing on the search engines, etc. But if you require those posting to jump through your *10* hoops for the first *10* times they post something (yes, that's 100 hoops. I'm tired of jumping already), you are artificially limiting the number of users that this list can actually help.

I don't like getting broken English replies and questions that don't make any sense any more than the next person, but I also get a good chuckle out of reading them. And reading replies that tell people to 'rm -rf /*' gives me a good laugh, too. The only way to REALLY learn is to make mistakes, even if you're making those mistakes because you took the 'advice' that someone gave you for free on the mailing list...

Give me a break :) Mailing lists are supposed to be fun and get off topic sometimes. That's what makes them interesting.

--Dave

PS: Can anyone help me with my broken *.? the ntework card is blinking red and the sips are dropping with echoes. Tai? LOL.