[asterisk-users] Suggestion for a new server for E1 line

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Jan 26 09:24:12 CST 2009

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Marco Signorini wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to identify a new server as a replacement for what our
> customer actually has (DELL PowerEdge 860).
> The server will mount the Digium board TE121, we already have, with echo
> cancel onboard. I need to know if someone could suggest a new server
> that's compatible with this board. With "compatible" I mean that's not
> having any problem like IRQ sharing, IRQ miss or kernel panic with
> DAHDI/Zaptel drivers or unwanted hangup or noise during the conversation.
>
> My other needs are:
>
> 1. At least two RAID disk (preferably hot-swappable but I'm looking also
> for solution without this feature)
> 2. Possibly with redundant power supply
> 3. 1U or 2U size
> 4. As cheap as possible.
>
> Our customer is pushing to have the HP Proliant DL120 but I think it's
> not fitting the 24/7 needs it has. The server will be used to dispatch
> calls coming from an 800 free number for one humanitarian organization
> in Italy.

"Cheap" and "Redundant Power Supply" don't go well together... It might
sometimes be cheaper to build 2 units than get a redundant PSU - not the
same type of redundancy, however...

And you can boot/run from SSD (Solid State Drive) - You should easilly fit
a standard system into a 16 or 32GB Flash module these days.

Something like these if you can find an italian supplier:

   http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=1011&pp=100,1011

Not as cheap as 2 drives though.

Gordon