[asterisk-users] Which policy for ISDN BRI support in NT/PtMP ?

Benoit maverick at maverick.eu.org
Mon Jan 26 04:34:42 CST 2009

Olivier a écrit :
> From my point of view, the most important feature is TE-PTMP as this
> the one used here (in France) when connecting a new Asterisk-based
> IPBX to ISDN (I really don't know why TE-PTP is not used for that).
Well this may depend of some parameter. We have a dual BRI line from
France Telecom, in PTP mode.

> From the same point of view, 2nd most needed feature is NT-PTMP when
> connecting legacy PBX to Asterisk (for the very same reason, those PBX
> use TE-PTMP).
>
> If others could join this thread and say if they agree or not with
> NT-PTMP being the 2nd most needed mode, would be great.
Well, i agree on something, when you are using PTMP mode, being able to
do it both way is very usefull (for transperency placing an * between a
legacy pabx and the 'outside world').
However it's when their is at least one NT mode, you could always
reconfigure the pabx (but you lose the ability to reconnect him directly
to the bri line
in case of problem)

> Please, do not hesitate to comment.
>

>     Right now, I would not preclude the possibility that NT-PTMP support
>     might be added, but I could not give you a concrete time at which it
>     will be done, since it will probably require some significant internal
>     changes in libpri.
>
>     To answer your final question, for now, if you need NT-PTMP mode, you
>     should use mISDN.
>

> I'm afraid this  mISDN option is not very encouraging these days :
> - misdn mailing list is not working these days (I'm hoping I'm wrong
> but it seems to be the case),
> - mISDN won't compile on latest 2.6.26 kernels so maybe mISDN
> developpers are thinking B410P features inclusion in 1.6 sets a mark
> in Asterisk BRI policy and it's not worth developing mISDN anymore.
> NT PTMP is very significantly different, in that you have to do much
Their is an unannonced mISN-1.1.9 release (and even 1.1.9.1 now). Since
their is no release note i can't say for sur they fixed this
but this may be worth a try

> So my opinion is that these NT-PTMP is really and urgently needed,
> especially if this TEI management is rather complex and therefore
> would take a long time to develop and stabilize.
> The alternative is to keep using those Patton, Quintum, etc ... boxes
> which is not what we would prefer ;-))
Why so ?
As for myself am very interested in red-fone boxes, being able to
separate the ipbx and the PRI 'access point' ahs some advantage (easier
resiliency)