No subject

Thu Jan 15 22:29:28 CST 2009

connecting legacy PBX to Asterisk (for the very same reason, those PBX use
TE-PTMP).

If others could join this thread and say if they agree or not with NT-PTMP
being the 2nd most needed mode, would be great.
Please, do not hesitate to comment.

> Right now, I would not preclude the possibility that NT-PTMP support
> might be added, but I could not give you a concrete time at which it
> will be done, since it will probably require some significant internal
> changes in libpri.
>
> To answer your final question, for now, if you need NT-PTMP mode, you
> should use mISDN.

I'm afraid this  mISDN option is not very encouraging these days :
- misdn mailing list is not working these days (I'm hoping I'm wrong but it
seems to be the case),
- mISDN won't compile on latest 2.6.26 kernels so maybe mISDN developpers
are thinking B410P features inclusion in 1.6 sets a mark in Asterisk BRI
policy and it's not worth developing mISDN anymore.

So my opinion is that these NT-PTMP is really and urgently needed,
especially if this TEI management is rather complex and therefore would take
a long time to develop and stabilize.
The alternative is to keep using those Patton, Quintum, etc ... boxes which
is not what we would prefer ;-))

I don't want to be misunderstood while writing this memo :
- a very good job have been made lately in dahdi/libpri with "B410P
inclusion"
- if others are thinking NT-PTMP is needed or disagree with that, let them
say it here and now, as it might take a long time to integrate this feature

Regards

> Matthew Fredrickson
> Digium, Inc.

--001636c5ad1b56719904615f48aa

=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:creslin at digium.com">creslin at digium.com</a>&g=
t;</span><br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px so=
lid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; As you may know, these ISDN BRI features are very important here in<br=

&gt; Europe as ISDN Basic Rate Access is very popular among Small &amp; Med=
ium<br>
&gt; Entreprises.<br>
&gt; I don&#39;t really know why but it seems that in many countries, defau=
lt is<br>
&gt; to install small PBX using Point-to-Multipoint (PtMP) mode as opposed =
to<br>
&gt; Point-to-Point (PtP) which is the norm for PRI.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; So basically, in several countries, SME are equipped today with PBX<br=

&gt; connected with TE/PtMP interfaces to telco BRI lines.<br>
&gt; When we address those SME, my opinion is that it&#39;s very useful to =
be<br>
&gt; able to support any combination of TE/NT, PtP/PtMP modes.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Latest 1.6 Asterisk and 1.4.8 Libpri introduced a new set of welcomed<=
br>
&gt; ISDN BRI features.<br>
&gt; Unfortunately, NT/PtMP is not available at this time, in latest<br>
&gt; Zaptel/Asterisk/Libpri.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; My question is &quot;what is the policy concerning NT/PtMP ?&quot;<br>
&gt; Is it really hard to extend Libpri to support this mode ?<br>
&gt; Or shall mISDN remain the way to go when NT/PtMP is needed ?<br>
I actually was the one that did a lot the work in adding the BRI support<br=

 for BRI support and lipri in general and I really thank you for that.<br><=
/div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(=
204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
NT PTMP is very significantly different, in that you have to do much<br>
more from a TEI management perspective.<br>
Most people&#39;s needs that I saw were actually fulfilled in using either<=
br>
NT or TE PTP or TE PTMP, since they were interfacing with PBXs or using<br>
TE-PTMP trunks from the telephone network to provide voice trunks for<br>
ature is TE-PTMP as this the one used here (in France) when connecting a ne=
w Asterisk-based IPBX to ISDN (I really don&#39;t know why TE-PTP is not us=
ed for that).<br>
nnecting legacy PBX to Asterisk (for the very same reason, those PBX use TE=
-PTMP).<br><br>If others could join this thread and say if they agree or no=
t with NT-PTMP being the 2nd most needed mode, would be great.<br>
Please, do not hesitate to comment.<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quo=
te" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt=
 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><br>
Right now, I would not preclude the possibility that NT-PTMP support<br>
might be added, but I could not give you a concrete time at which it<br>
will be done, since it will probably require some significant internal<br>
changes in libpri.<br>
To answer your final question, for now, if you need NT-PTMP mode, you<br>
on is not very encouraging these days :<br>- misdn mailing list is not work=
ing these days (I&#39;m hoping I&#39;m wrong but it seems to be the case),<=
br>
- mISDN won&#39;t compile on latest 2.6.26 kernels so maybe mISDN developpe=
rs are thinking B410P features inclusion in 1.6 sets a mark in Asterisk BRI=
 policy and it&#39;s not worth developing mISDN anymore.<br><br>So my opini=
on is that these NT-PTMP is really and urgently needed, especially if this =
TEI management is rather complex and therefore would take a long time to de=
velop and stabilize.<br>
The alternative is to keep using those Patton, Quintum, etc ... boxes which=
 is not what we would prefer ;-))<br><br>I don&#39;t want to be misundersto=
od while writing this memo :<br>- a very good job have been made lately in =
dahdi/libpri with &quot;B410P inclusion&quot;<br>
- if others are thinking NT-PTMP is needed or disagree with that, let them =
say it here and now, as it might take a long time to integrate this feature=
"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padd=
ing-left: 1ex;">
Matthew Fredrickson<br>
Digium, Inc.<br>