[asterisk-users] Which policy for ISDN BRI support in NT/PtMP ?

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Sat Jan 24 08:00:19 CST 2009

Hi,

As you may know, these ISDN BRI features are very important here in Europe
as ISDN Basic Rate Access is very popular among Small & Medium Entreprises.
I don't really know why but it seems that in many countries, default is to
install small PBX using Point-to-Multipoint (PtMP) mode as opposed to
Point-to-Point (PtP) which is the norm for PRI.

So basically, in several countries, SME are equipped today with PBX
connected with TE/PtMP interfaces to telco BRI lines.
When we address those SME, my opinion is that it's very useful to be able to
support any combination of TE/NT, PtP/PtMP modes.

Latest 1.6 Asterisk and 1.4.8 Libpri introduced a new set of welcomed ISDN
BRI features.
Unfortunately, NT/PtMP is not available at this time, in latest
Zaptel/Asterisk/Libpri.

My question is "what is the policy concerning NT/PtMP ?"
Is it really hard to extend Libpri to support this mode ?
Or shall mISDN remain the way to go when NT/PtMP is needed ?

Regards