[asterisk-users] Passing DTMF

Christopher Gray chris at bayareadigital.us
Fri Jan 23 19:13:29 CST 2009

Hello:

I need to be able to reliably send out touchtone to any calling party who comes
into my pbx.  The standard things to help with this have been done as far as I
know:

1.  dtmfmode is rfc2833.

2.  The phones themselves are set to rfc2833.

3.  allow=ulaw

4.  On internal calls between extensions, touchtone works fine.

Also, I have reviewed sip.conf with my carriers.

Now for the question:  does anybody know of a carrier that can reliably allow an
extension in my pbx to send touchtone to a calling party?

I have tried Vitelity and VoicePulse.  Neither can do this, and VoicePulse
indicates they know it's a problem and will fix it at some unknown time in the
future.

For the curious, here is the reason for the need.  My wife, who works as a
translator, will use this extension to receive calls from companies needing
translation.  When she receives such a call, step 1 for her is to enter an
employee id code.  At the end of the call, she must enter an additional code to
receive an ending time.

Vitelity can't do this at all.  VoicePulse works about 75% of the time which is
not acceptable.

Thanks for any advice.

Chris

Christopher Gray, President
Bay Area Digital

Promoting good health with innovative technology

870 Market Street, #653
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone:  (415) 217-6667
fax:    (415) 962-2520