[asterisk-users] soft ATA on linux with zaptel?

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Thu Jan 22 18:58:03 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:02:01 -0500, Steve Totaro wrote:
>>
>> Why not just get a softphone and use a USB soundcard or even the onboard
>> sound card as your ATA?  Like a MagicJack and SJphone or Xlite or
>> whatever it is that works with it.
>
> Please forgive my ignorance but I am not following you.
>
> My problem is this... I have a copper POTS line coming into the house and
> I have an Asterisk server which is incapable of accepting a PCI zap card
> as it has no PCI slots.
>
> I do have a PCI zap card though and I have a Linux machine I could put
> that in to.
>
> So now how do I use a USB soundcard and softphone to bridge the copper
> POTS line to the Asterisk server given that I only have an IP connection
> between the Asterisk server and the machine that has the zap card in it?
>
> b.

ATA is the wrong term then, you were unclear in your original
question.  You want an FXO device.  An ATA is an "Analog TERMINAL
Adaptor, not an FXO port.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-ATA

Not sure why you wouldn't run Asterisk on the linux box that has PCI
slots.....  Anyways, I guess you could run FreeSwitch or some other
software that supports Zaptel/Dahdi devices.  You could set up TDMoE
if you are really feeling froggy.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro