[asterisk-users] Root Password not taking

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Thu Jan 22 17:05:29 CST 2009

>making sure to patch any holes through which the hacker might have come

In my case, I had been getting regular attacks through SSH for months, probably 100 a day (bots).  Apparently after nine months of this, someone stumbled on to my password which regrettably was composed of two dictionary words with no special characters, making it susceptible to dictionary search.

When I re-installed, I put SSH on a non-standard port and haven't had a single attempt to attack the system since.

Wilton