[asterisk-users] soft ATA on linux with zaptel?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Jan 22 15:04:07 CST 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:02:01 -0500, Steve Totaro wrote:

> Why not just get a softphone and use a USB soundcard or even the onboard
> sound card as your ATA?  Like a MagicJack and SJphone or Xlite or
> whatever it is that works with it.

Please forgive my ignorance but I am not following you.

My problem is this... I have a copper POTS line coming into the house and
I have an Asterisk server which is incapable of accepting a PCI zap card
as it has no PCI slots.

I do have a PCI zap card though and I have a Linux machine I could put
that in to.

So now how do I use a USB soundcard and softphone to bridge the copper
POTS line to the Asterisk server given that I only have an IP connection
between the Asterisk server and the machine that has the zap card in it?

b.