[asterisk-users] Root Password not taking

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Jan 22 14:49:15 CST 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Wilton Helm wrote:

> If some of your directories like /home and /user have separate mount
> points, they don't have to get wiped out in the process.

If there is any reason to suspect a hack, re-installation is the only way.
I would replace the suspect drive and do a fresh install on a fresh drive.
If you can bring it up to current patch level before exposing it to the
'net, all the better.

Having the suspect drive available to crib configuration details from will
come in handy. Just mount it read-only on a non-executable mount point.

After a hack, no executable or configuration file can be trusted and all
data is suspect so even if /home and /us[e]r are not clobbered, they
cannot be trusted.

Thanks in advance,