[asterisk-users] Problems With Playback of Audio On SIP Only System

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Wed Jan 21 09:32:25 CST 2009

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Mark Michelson wrote:
>
>> If you are using gsm prompts and gcc version 4.2 or higher, then you may be
>> experiencing the optimizer bug that gcc has with gsm audio. The workarounds for
>> this are to use a different format for sounds or to set the DONT_OPTIMIZE flag
>> in menuselect. If you want an optimized build and gsm formatted sounds, then you
>> could always attempt downgrading your gcc version to 4.1 or earlier.
>
> This is affecting users frequently enough that we probably need to
> engineer some sort of configure-script test to check for this problem at
> build time.

I started thinking about this and I'm not sure how you can check for this at
configure-time or build-time. While it would be easy to check what gcc version
is being used, it is not so easy (dare I say, not possible) to see if
gsm-formatted sounds are going to be used in this setup. Besides the fact that
core sounds are not placed on the system until make install is run, we can't
know if there are out-of-tree gsm-formatted sound files which will be used, too.
Did you have something clever in mind for such a check?

Mark Michelson