[asterisk-users] Interesting observation

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Tue Jan 20 11:24:02 CST 2009

At 12:48 PM 1/19/2009, you wrote:
>I do not know if they use analog or digital signals for the phones but
>if we use the cell phone system as an example they took down all analog
>towers because they could service more phones on the same bandwidth with
>digital.  I would assume that would hold true for the spectrum on a
>cable as well.  I would also find it hard to believe that they would not
>use off the shelf technology.

There used to be is a modem of sorts on the wall where they connect
into the house wiring. It looked like a analog phone line on the
house side and connected to the cable on the other. Supported 4
analog lines. Then a year or 2 ago they changed the service so that
it now uses a cable modem with a built in backup battery and 2 analog
phone ports next to the ethernet port. I have to assume it's digital
as I can't imagine there's any analog in a modern cable modem.

Ira