[asterisk-users] the FXS ports of Digium and damaging if connected to Tel Line

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Jan 20 07:39:20 CST 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, bilal ghayyad wrote:

> Dear Gordon;
>
> I did not understand the idea of the following:
>
> "If you're carefull, you can clip the tang of the RJ11 plug on the end of the BT adapter so that it needs a small screwdriver to remove it from the socket on the board..."
>
> Do u have any link?
> What do u mean by "clibing the tang of the RJ11 plug on the end of the BT adaptor?

The "tang" is the thin bit of plastic that makes the RJ11 plug latch into
the socket. You push it down to un-latch the plug so you can pull it out
of the socket. If you cut it about a third of the way down, you'll not be
able to easilly remove the plug once inserted into the socket.

Maybe it doesn't translate well:

   http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tang

Maybe there's another word for it, but it's what I've always used...

Gordon