[asterisk-users] Fring and Asterisk

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Tue Jan 20 06:42:10 CST 2009

2009/1/20 Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com>

> 2009/1/20 Gordon Henderson <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net<gordon%2Basterisk at drogon.net>
> >

>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Olivier wrote:
>>
>> > GTalk seems to fill the bill of requirements, though, I don't think it's
>> > available on Nokia  mobile phones ..
>>
>> My Nokia mobile phone has a SIP client built-in which uses Wi-Fi... And
>> while it's not perfect, it's actually very usable and works well with
>> asterisk.
>>
>> Upgrade the phone?
>

> I agree that native Nokia SIP client is very usable and should be the
> preferred way to call over a WiFi connection.
> I mentioned GTalk as someone mentioned Fring on Nokia.

Unfortunately, I upgraded my phone to one of these new fangled S60 3rd
edition Feature Pack 2 phones (N78 in this case, but N96 has the same
software) where Nokia have removed the SIP client... They've included a SIP
stack and stated that this way third parties can write their own clients...
Options are somewhat limited at the moment...