[asterisk-users] Interesting observation

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Mon Jan 19 14:27:01 CST 2009

----- "David Gibbons" <dave at videon-central.com> wrote:
> I think what you're referring to is the general hesitance of the cable
> providers to call their phone service VOIP service. VOIP still has a
> negative connotation with most regular folks, so they don't want to
> negative PR.

True.

> I'm don't have any facts, but I'll bet you a penny that they don't
> have a proprietary system using something /OTHER/ than IP to send
> encapsulated voice over 'additional frequency spectrum'. That would be
> prohibitively expensive to develop and pointless from a technical
> standpoint, given that IP telephony is already set to deploy and
> relatively mature.

True.
> The reliability of faxing is based soley on network jitter and latency
> and codec compression. I've found that taking the compression out of
> the mix (using g.711 ulaw) and controlling the jitter and latency
> (something that's easy to do on a private network like theirs with
> QOS) causes faxing to be pretty darn reliable.
>
> --Dave
Also True.

I'd be willing to bet *TWO* pennies that you're correct. I certainly was not coming into the conversation as an expert, just stating what I'd read/heard of their service... hence the "My understanding is that..." beginning to the email. :-)

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105