[asterisk-users] Interesting observation

Darrick Hartman dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Mon Jan 19 12:21:12 CST 2009

I have an interesting observation which I thought I'd pass along to save
other people from spending time trying to 'fix' it.

One of my clients uses Charter's so called "business phone service".
They provide 'analog' phone lines over IP.  In general, they've worked
OK.  End users were saying that the phone are "cutting out" at times.
What I've observed is they actually do "cut out" (meaning all inbound
audio is momentarily lost) if a loud noise is created on the local end.
  This client has a machine shop so you can imagine that at times it
does get quite loud.

I spent a few hours trying to different setting in the Polycom phones,
but finally thought I'd try plugging an analog headset into the Charter
CPE device directly.  The same behavior was experienced.  It appears
they have a 'feature' which cuts out the incoming audio if a loud noise
(simulated by blowing into the receiver) is experienced outgoing.

Pretty much going to a true analog service is the only solution that I
can think of.  Would be interested if anyone has other thoughts.

Darrick