[asterisk-users] CRTC and FCC Feeds

Shidan shidan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 21:56:10 CST 2009

I don't understand why so many government sites fail to provide some
sort of feed to their daily bulletins. What I am venting about in
specific are the Canadian CRTC and FCC sites, every day I have to go
to the website and when I reach the content, usually it isn't even
HTML but a Word or PDF file. So finally today I decided to do
something about it and wrote a little app that scrapes their daily
releases and displays the information in blogger so I can just add the
feeds to my reader.

The CRTC site specially dissapoints me because someone who developed
the site had the common sense of using Dublin Core in the meta tags or
are using a CMS which obviously makes it easy to make available
machine readable content.

I wrote this system using Python, Beautiful Soup and Google's App.
Engine, I will allow comments on both and if there is demand will
switch to a PLIGG instance instead of blogger.

As a legal note, I make absolutely no claims or warranties that this
application actually works or the following blogs display accurate
data from the CRTC or FCC's site.

Here they are:

for the CRTC: http://crtc.gulfpearl.com
for the FCC: http://fcc.gulfpearl.com