[asterisk-users] how to debug mime-construct with fax2mail?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 14:45:20 CST 2009

I'm trying to capture faxes on 1.6.1-beta4. AFAICT, app_fax is working
OK. I'm then using fax2mail to send the fax. That wasn't working, so i
posted for help using the System() cmd, since fax2mail did work from the
command line. But now I realize it's fax2mail and mime-construct itself.

I set up a fax-test context:

[fax-test]
exten=>666,1,NoOp( fax-test )
exten=>666,2,System(/bin/echo "this is a system
test"${STRFTIME(${EPOCH},,%H%M)} >> /opt/system-test)
exten=>666,3,System(/usr/local/bin/fax2mail.1.sh --dest-name Sean
--dest-email seandarcy2 at gmail -f /var/spool/asterisk/fax/FAXFILE)
exten=>666,n,Hangup

This works fine on the cli. And /opt/system-test captures the /bin/echo
string.

AND, the fax2mail log - /var/log/asterisk/faxlog - shows that fax2mail
was`called, and there are no errors. So it's not the System() cmd. But
the email is NOT sent.

faxlog:

fax2mail v2.3
   Triggered on Thursday, January 15 2009, at 02:45 PM
   Called with --dest-name Sean --dest-email seandarcy2 at gmail -f
/var/spool/asterisk/fax/FAXFILE
   CallerID number of fax sender =
   CallerID name of fax sender = Someone Unknown
   Fax number called = 213 666 9505
   Destination name = Sean
   Destination email address = seandarcy2 at gmail
   Fax file name (without .tif extension) = /var/spool/asterisk/fax/FAXFILE
   Attachment format conversion = pdf
     Set CallerID number of fax sender to <unknown number>
   Fax file /var/spool/asterisk/fax/FAXFILE.tif found.
   Converted /var/spool/asterisk/fax/FAXFILE.tif to
/var/spool/asterisk/fax/FAXFILE.pdf.
   E-mailed file to seandarcy2 at gmail
   Removing destination file /var/spool/asterisk/fax/FAXFILE.pdf

I can run the exact same cmd from the terminal, and it works. The email
is sent. And the fax2mail log looks the same.

asterisk is running as root, I run the command at the terminal as root.

So I getting to think it's somehow mime-construct, which doesn't seem to
have some nice log around, even if run with --debug.

Any help really appreciated. I'm puzzled as hell.

sean