[asterisk-users] Call Stealing

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Thu Jan 15 14:32:56 CST 2009

What about Chanspy()?

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Geoff Lane
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:19 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Call Stealing

On Thursday, January 15, 2009, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> I'm a bit confused as to how your old system exactly worked.  When
> you  initially answer the phone (on presumably the "wrong"
> extension), what did  you do with that handset before getting up and
> going to the "right"  extension to steal it?  Did you just leave it
> off hook?  I'm assuming you  had to dial something to "park" the
> call before just hanging up the  orginal extension.  In that case,
> call parking is really what you are  looking for, and you could
> simulate your old feature by mapping whatever  you used to dial to
> park the call.  Then map your old "call steal" code to  retrieve it.

You just leave the phone off the hook, walk to the handset to which
you want to transfer the call, then dial the call-steal code. This
steals (captures) any active call within the same ring group. You
don't need to park the call first.

> If you actually left the first one off hook in the past and walked to the
> second extension and then "stole" the call, then perhaps you could map
> your code to do a call transfer given the channel id (as someone else
> suggested I think).

AIUI, the syntax for the Transfer() function is Transfer(exten) where
exten is the destination extension. AFAICT, it implicitly transfers
from the current extension in the dialplan, so you can use it to
"push" a call to another extension but I can't see how to use it
"pull" a call from another extension.

Am I missing something, or is there another application that can
"pull" a call?

TIA,

--
Geoff