[asterisk-users] Call Stealing

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Thu Jan 15 13:13:10 CST 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Geoff Lane wrote:

> On Thursday, January 15, 2009, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
>
>> Cordless phones?
>
>> Sorry, couldn't resist :)
>
> I've got some but the range isn't good enough to cover my entire
> house. Besides which it's bad enough playing "find the phone" when a
> cordless handset gets eaten by the settee or wanders off to the next
> room! ;)

I'm a bit confused as to how your old system exactly worked.  When you
initially answer the phone (on presumably the "wrong" extension), what did
you do with that handset before getting up and going to the "right"
extension to steal it?  Did you just leave it off hook?  I'm assuming you
had to dial something to "park" the call before just hanging up the
orginal extension.  In that case, call parking is really what you are
looking for, and you could simulate your old feature by mapping whatever
you used to dial to park the call.  Then map your old "call steal" code to
retrieve it.

If you actually left the first one off hook in the past and walked to the
second extension and then "stole" the call, then perhaps you could map
your code to do a call transfer given the channel id (as someone else
suggested I think).