[asterisk-users] Call Stealing

Geoff Lane geoff at gjctech.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 12:07:42 CST 2009

On Thursday, January 15, 2009, Drew Gibson wrote:

> Would SLA (Shared Line Appearance) work for this?

> Put call on hold, press button beside flashing light on second handset?

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it would work with my hardware. I've got two Nortel 355
analog handsets, one plugged into my TDM400P card and the other via an
IAXy ATA; two analog cordless handsets connected via Grandstream SIP
ATAs; and three USB phones connected via softphones on two PCs and a
Mac. Not a proper VOIP handset among them!

As you can probably guess, I cobbled my system together from whatever
I could get my hands on and niceties like SLA didn't enter my head at
the time!

However, SLA is functionally almost the same as call parking. In that
system, I transfer the call to extension 700 and the parking system
tells me the number (usually 701) I need to dial to retrieve the call.
I can then hang up the original handset, go the new handset, and dial
the given number to connect to the caller. It's a little more
convoluted than SLA, but with the same functionality.

--
Geoff