[asterisk-users] What are the various models of DID providers

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Jan 13 20:14:14 CST 2009

Benny Amorsen wrote:
> Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> writes:
>
>> There are no exceptions to this rule;  numbers are assigned to carriers
>> and are switched and routed by carriers.  Where anyone is providing
>> DIDs, there is a UC (Underlying Carrier) involved that is actually doing
>> the hauling relative to the PSTN side.
>
> Notice that in some areas it is now possible to become a carrier
> without doing SS7. The company I work for is in the last stages of
> transforming into a carrier, both for fixed and mobile. That is, we
> now actually own our own fixed and mobile Danish number ranges and we
> have our own SIM cards. We don't own any cell sites, but mobile calls
> are actually switched through our infrastructure, not just handled by
> the provider who owns the sites. This makes it possible to treat cell
> phones as if they were SIP phones. As an example, Asterisk is able to
> provide BLF showing the status of cell phones.
>
> Interconnections with other carriers will be SIP only, and all of this
> is done purely with Asterisk!

That's a highly progressive jurisdiction to be in, then.  :-)  In much
of the rest of the world, you have to be doing SS7.  You can't connect
to any ILECs in the US any other way.

That aside, it is replace internal private SS7 IMTs between switches (if
you have multiple ones) with SIP-T and avoid the limitations of physical
trunk exhaust and the need for separate networks.

Also, there are ways to avoid having to take SS7 A-links directly even
if you have point codes.  You can get somebody to do it for you and give
you SIGTRAN over IP - even over the Internet if you must.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems