[asterisk-users] What are the various models of DID providers

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Tue Jan 13 08:11:41 CST 2009

Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> writes:

> There are no exceptions to this rule;  numbers are assigned to carriers
> and are switched and routed by carriers.  Where anyone is providing
> DIDs, there is a UC (Underlying Carrier) involved that is actually doing
> the hauling relative to the PSTN side.

Notice that in some areas it is now possible to become a carrier
without doing SS7. The company I work for is in the last stages of
transforming into a carrier, both for fixed and mobile. That is, we
now actually own our own fixed and mobile Danish number ranges and we
have our own SIM cards. We don't own any cell sites, but mobile calls
are actually switched through our infrastructure, not just handled by
the provider who owns the sites. This makes it possible to treat cell
phones as if they were SIP phones. As an example, Asterisk is able to
provide BLF showing the status of cell phones.

Interconnections with other carriers will be SIP only, and all of this
is done purely with Asterisk!

We only (ok, with a few exceptions) sell hosted PBX solutions, so we
aren't in general a price-competitive choice for pure
termination/origination.

/Benny

PS: Sorry if this seems like an advertisement, but I do believe that
what we are doing is a new and exciting direction for Asterisk. Like
in my other posts, I have avoided mentioning the company I work for.