[asterisk-users] What are the various models of DID providers

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Jan 13 06:22:22 CST 2009

Managing financial exposure on postpaid can be hard stuff.  Some give up
on it.

Also, despite the fact that it's a well-known and tiresome boondoggle -
as well as a fairly moribund loophole - at this point, there seems to be
no shortage of VoIP outfits blundering their way into the carrier access
billing arbitrage I described in my post on termination.  The DIDs are
free and completely unlimited (and indeed, in some cases, they'll even
pay you a little tiny bit for the usage), but the catch is that they're
in some really bizarre, rural rate center (area code and exchange, or
NPA-NXX).

This is them setting up shop with a rural independent and getting a cut
of the access charges.

Beware, this is in the process of going away, and is generally a really
stupid idea despite the phenomenal amounts of money that have been made
with it in times past.