[asterisk-users] What are the various models of DID providers

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 02:29:49 CST 2009

Hi,

Inspired by a recent rant about one particular provider, I am getting
very curious about something I've never mastered. I'd like someone to
explain this here or at least post a link or two that can educate me
and probably countless others who have no knowledge in this area. I'm
sure there are several of you reading this that know all about the
subject.

What are the various business models of these providers, in particular
where are they on the food chain of the DID or trunks they offer?

For example, I have accounts with several well-known providers of SIP,
IAX trunks, hosted pbx and DID. Each of these is located in a
different area, and I would assume they have different peering and
rates they pay to their upstreams. Without naming names, could someone
tackle this? It might help people know what they are getting into when
the open an account.

What are the best *types* of companies for each category: asterisk
testing and home use, small business, larger business, General
Motors...

tia,

/r