[asterisk-users] u-law file header ?

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 15:15:56 CST 2009

QUESTION:  Who's in the wrong:

I recently saw an example of a u-law file with a metadata header on the file.
The asterisk playback function 'PLAYED' the ascii header values as if they were audio data, creating an audible 'click'.

After realizing the click was coming from metadata (and fixing it), I became curious:

Which is 'correct?  In other words:

1. Is it considered incorrect to ever include metadata on a u-law formatted file?
or
2. Is it considered incorrect for a playback engine to fail to check for metadata headers before playback?
or
3. Is it unspecified, and therefore considered incorrect for someone (ME) to FEED a u-law stream into any playback engine without FIRST making sure that somebody's two-bit application didn't tack on an unsolicited header? :-)

In other words, should case 1 or 2 be considered a software defect?

Thanks
-Karl