[asterisk-users] Simple CDRs

Grey Man greymanvoip at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 01:14:37 CST 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 6:37 AM, Tilghman Lesher
<tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:

> I think Steve is as interested as anybody else in achieving a solution, but
> you're hand-waving when it comes to the establishment of a UUID.  There
> is no such construct that we can use, but there are very deterministic methods
> (which Steve has enumerated) for producing the required uniqueness.  And at
> the end of the day, what you need is the assurance that the algorithm used is
> indeed unique enough to produce no possible collisions.

I've been hand-waving for over a year about the CDRs so you're right
in that respect.

There are no contructs in C for threads either but they are an
abstraction heavily used by Asterisk, likewise linked lists etc etc.

At the end of the day whoever writes the code will implement it how
best they see fit. I'm merely pointing out that there is already a
very straight forward, standard way of generating unique ids that is
used extensively and has a probability lower than 1 in 10^36 of
generating a collision. In my opinion the methods discussed of
incorporating a server name or timestamp into some kind of sequence to
create a unique id are pretty fragile.

If the new CDRs are accurate with regards the remaining core fields
that would be great. Those of us that are using the Asterisk CDRs are
already dealing with the non-uniqueid so can continue to do so.

Regards,

Greyman.