[asterisk-users] Simple CDRs

Grey Man greymanvoip at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 19:40:24 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Asterisk Development Team
<asteriskteam at digium.com> wrote:
> Actually I could see appending a 'servername' to the UUID as useful in a
> clustered environment. Every time I don't think I need to do that, I end
> up having to do it. And since this would be a configurable appendage, it
> shouldn't hurt anything.

I would argue against that. If the server name is useful in the CDR
then add another field for it. I for one load CDRs to and from a
database using a typed langauge and would be utilising the UUID field
as a specific UUID type. If the server name has been tacked on I'll
need to do some string parsing to take it off. That aside I don't
quite understand the reluctance to rely on the uniqueness of a UUID. I
like the wikipedia description (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID)
where a clash in randomly generated UUID has a probability greater
than 10^36 whereas the probability of Earth being hit by a meteor is
estimated as one in 17 billion.

Where I and I'm sure others want to use the current "uniqueid" CDR
field is as the primary key in a database. Being able to rely on at
least one field in the CDR being unique solves a lot of probelms for
billing engines such as if the billing engine stops and starts has a
particular call been billed or not. At the moment the "uniqueid" is
next to useless for those of us putting CDRs into a database.

Regards,

Greyman.