[asterisk-users] Playing MP3s...

Matthew Nicholson mnicholson at digium.com
Thu Jan 8 15:58:43 CST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 16:15 -0500, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> For no reason other than it would be cool, I'd like to be able to dial an
> extension and have it play a random MP3.  Since, however, MP3s are
> kinda-sorta weird due to patents, I'm not sure what the right approach for
> this is.  Any pointers on how to go about this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ken

You could use format_mp3 from addons and app_playback to do this.
Although doing a random file might be a little tricky.  You could use an
AGI script to simplify choosing a random file.  Alternatively you could
use music on hold set for random and MusicOnHold which is a more
straightforward solution.

--
Matthew Nicholson
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer