[asterisk-users] How to listen in on a SIP channel?

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Wed Jan 7 17:02:58 CST 2009

Ron McCarthy wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I see their is ExtenSpy(), I want to monitor calls (in and out I hope)
> from another phone, all the channels are SIP. ChanSpy() looks like you
> cannot give it a context and I want to be able to only monitor certain
> calls. Any Ideals on how to do this?
>
> Thanks!

You can use ChanSpy for this, using its grouping feature. When a call is made to
or from a phone which you would like to listen to, set the SPYGROUP variable to
some number. Then when you call the Chanspy application, supply it with the g
option and use that number as an argument. You can get more details on this by
issuing the command "core show application Chanspy" in the Asterisk CLI.
Specifically look at the g option.

Hope this helps.
Mark Michelson