[asterisk-users] app_rxfax and app_txfax with Ubuntu?

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Wed Jan 7 04:47:18 CST 2009

Hi, all.  I just tried to fire up app_txfax and app_rxfax, only to find
that I can't seem to compile them.  The problem appears to be that my
libtiff library is wrong.  Only problem is that, according to the README,
I need "libtiff >=3.8 and <4.0", which is all well and good... except that
there is no 3.x libtiff anywhere in the Ubuntu repository (that I can
find, at any rate).  "So just uninstall and then install from source,
right?"  Well, not so much: many, many different applications depend on
the libtiff library, and I'd have to use --force, and... well, the whole
reason I'm using Ubuntu/Debian is to avoid library/package hell.  That
won't cut it.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and, for the record, I'd prefer not to have to install Asterisk 1.6,
which would appear to solve all this, just because of all the
configuration I've already done.  But if that's the answer, then I'll do it.

-Ken