[asterisk-users] Remote connection to an Asterisk server

Dale Noll dnoll at wi.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 09:37:43 CST 2009

Gary wrote:

> On the router, I've turned on "DMZ" to point to my Asterisk box's static IP
> address.
>
> My home (real world) IP address is static.
>
> The Problem:  When I grab one of my Cisco 7940's and take it to my office,
> it does not "see" or "register" with my home Asterisk server after I change
> it's proxy to point to my home IP address.
>
> Any Ideas? - Is this a router issue (sure seems like it)? - Much thanks in
> advance.

My first thought is that your office network is probably also behind
router with NAT. Though you __may__ be able to get the SIP from your
office to your home IP, does the reverse also work?  You set your home
router to forward SIP packets to your * server. Does your office network
forward SIP packets to your phone?

If you are in charge of the office network, perhaps you can set that up,
if not, it may be more difficult.

There is also the issue of a firewall that the office network probably
has setup so that all SIP traffic is blocked, both inbound and outbound.

If your desire to place your personal phone on your office desk is a
company sanctioned project, you could possibly get these issues
addressed by whomever is in control of the office network.  If not,
chances are you may be out of luck.

BTW: Does the 'DMZ' setting on your home router/firewall forward all
incoming traffic to that address or just specific ports?  Unless you
have hardened your Asterisk server, that would make me a bit nervous. I
would recommend against that and instead use 'forwarding' of the SIP
traffic on UDP port 5060.  This will limit your exposure.  But, keep in
mind good ID and passwords on the SIP connection because you may end up
with a very large telephone bill if not careful. In such a case,
iptables can be your best friend.

Dale