[asterisk-users] Continue in dialplan on hangup

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 08:15:19 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Daniel Hazelbaker
<daniel at highdesertchurch.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to force a channel to continue in the dialplan after
> the remote end hangs up?

You use the 'h' side of the dialplan for the extension.

   exten => s,1,Answer
   exten => s,n,Set(some magic to make the filename unique)
   exten => s,n,ReceiveFax(filenamevar)

   exten => h,1,Cmd(/usr/bin/tiff2ps filenamevar.tiff)
   exten => h,n,Cmd(/usr/bin/lpr filenamevar.ps)

So if your ReceiveFax() saves a tiff, you can then on the 'h' side do
the tiff2ps and lpr steps. Which is the only way it's going to work if
you make these calls directly in the dialplan.

Another alternative is setting up external programs to handle those
things for you. Some people get good results that way. I am getting
good results doing everything in the dialplan. One brilliant thing
about doing it all from an asterisk dialplan is that it automatically
scales to the number of inbound calls in your system at that time.
Zero 'modems' when nobody is calling in and n 'modems' when you're
load testing. Asterisk will dynamically create the resources, and
destroy them when the call completes. I loaded up my system with 150+
fake modems in load testing Asterisk-1.6 with ReceiveFax() directly in
a dialplan.

Whereas Hylafax needs to have a fixed number of 'modems' that it
manages at a time. So you need to designate a number of 'modems' based
on the number of inbound calls you expect.