[asterisk-users] building a phone

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Fri Feb 27 21:39:59 CST 2009

Witness the fact that the old Pingtel phones ran Java, and they were
incredibly lame.

I think part of what this thread misses is that DSP is a god chunk of
what SIP phones need. A general purpose CPU is not the right tool for
the task. A cheap DSP is better suited to compression, transcoding,
etc.

OTOH, presuming that the snom phones are Linux on a suitable platform
soomeone could develop a custom software load for them and OEM the
hardware.

Michael

--Original Message Text---
From: Wilton Helm
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:28:40 -0700

>This is not entirely true - many of the nokia phones use a java OS as a
>core, and you can load pretty much any java software you want on them,
>but all the points about power and battery use are still valid. (and
>whether you really consider that truly an OS is questionable, but its
>out there)

Java is the worst offender.  Its resource requirements often exceed
those of the application it is running.  Java is useful for things like
displaying web pages that are not time critical and where its write
once, run everywhere philosophy is valuable.  But anyone trying to
actually do things like I/O control, call setup, transcoding, etc. in
Java are asking for every issue I raised.  If WCE can get 8 hours of
battery life, Java would be about 3.

Wilton

--
Michael Graves